1. 47 POINTS
    Kevin Haney
    A.S.K. Benefit Solutions, New Jersey
    Medicare parts A and B do not cover vision exams related to prescribing corrective eye wear. There may be coverage if there is a related medical condition. Treatments for any diseases of the eye are generally included. 

    You may want to consider purchasing a supplemental vision plan. Benefits may be paid for routine vision exams, and you can take advantage of discounts on frames and/or contact lenses.
    Answered on April 11, 2014
  2. 11498 POINTS
    Jason Goldenzweig
    Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Medicare doesn't cover routine eye examinations and glasses. Part B can provide coverage for some preventive and diagnostic eye exams for people at high risk of certain conditions (e.g. diagnosing retinopathy in diabetics or mascular degeneration for age-related conditions). You can check out the medicare.gov website for more specific information regarding condition/risk requirements for Medicare to pay benefits.

    If you're looking for coverage for routine eye exams, glasses, contacts, etc., you would need to secure a vision insurance plan. Please feel free to contact me for assistance or if you have any other questions. Thanks very much.
    Answered on July 22, 2014
  3. 2330 POINTS
    Steve Adlman
    Owner, Alabama Medicare Plans, Birmingham, Alabama
    Medicare will cover anything wrong with your eyes medically (cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc). When you have your eyes examined Medicare does not cover the part of the exam called refraction to see if your prescription needs to be changed. My eye doctor charges $35 for refraction. Most of your eye exam will be covered by Medicare Part B, 80% then the other 20% if you have a Medicare Supplement. Medicare does not cover eyeglasses unless you are getting a new prescription as a result of cataract surgery.
    Answered on February 15, 2016
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>