1. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCS
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    Renters insurance will not cover earthquake or flood. A separate policy will be required if you are looking to insure those risks.  Renters insurance depending on where you live may exclude or carry a different deductible for wind. Wind would include a hurricane. Lava flow would be excluded as well. A big Forest fire would be covered if you wish to consider this a natural disaster.
    Answered on January 9, 2014
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Typically, a Renters Insurance policy works the same way as any residential policy with respect to covered losses.  For the most part, there are two loss causes that are excluded from coverage, namely Earth Movement and Flood.  Coverage for Earth Movement may, in many cases, be endorsed onto the policy, but the only way to have coverage for flood damage is to have a Flood Insurance policy.
    It is important to discuss this with your Insurance Professional to see how your policy works.  If you are renting a property in a coastal area, for example, there may be coverage limitations in your policy for damage caused by wind or hurricane.
    Answered on January 9, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>