1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®PRO
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    As you approach retirement you should try to find a planner who is willing to help you with retirement income planning.  This is an emerging field but addresses the issue that you have raised.  Converting your assets into something that you can spend is critical and advice is usually important.  As a holding instrument you can roll proceeds of a 401(K) into an IRA.  You don’t gain anything tax wise in doing a roll-over, however, you might gain greater control of your asset and an increased ability to plan disbursing money.
    Answered on July 1, 2014
  2. 21750 POINTS
    Jim WinklerPRO
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! A really great question, and if there were just one great answer, everyone would be doing it, and there would be no seniors living in poverty (55% of all Seniors live at or below poverty level, according to the 2012 Census). To give you an answer that would work for you, I'd need to know what assets you have, where they are located, how liquid they are, what your risk tolerance is, what your retirement goals are, how your insurance protection is, your health and your spouses health status, and more. To give you a generic answer? Somewhere where the bulk is protected yet fairly liquid, with the opportunity to draw a steady income from in the best tax advantaged way. If you would like to contact me with more specifics, I'd be happy to give you some better advice. Thanks for asking!
    Answered on July 2, 2014
  3. 210 POINTS
    Barry Goldwater
    Principal, Goldwater Financial Group, Boston
    The appropriate answer here is " anywhere you want to invest your 401k assets." I mean who are you? What are your goals? What have you been investing your 401k in? How can any adviser tell you where to invest after retirement without knowing you? Sorry, but I think this is a dumb question. Usually, people roll 401k assets over into an IRA. Some employers allow you to stay put and keep your current investments.
    Answered on July 8, 2014
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>