1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    The state of California requires that all licensed drivers have liability insurance.  Normally that coverage "follows" a vehicle and any licensed driver, other than one specifically excluded, can operate that vehicle with the owner's permission.  Some drivers want to maintain a license even though they no longer own a vehicle in which case they would purchase a liability policy on themselves.
    Answered on February 20, 2014
  2. 730 POINTS
    Darald Novak AAI
    Retired Agent and Broker, Self Employed, Albany NY USA
    Insurance does not allow you to operate motor vehicles. Driving is a privilege obtained from the state. Is the more appropriate question: What kind of liability insurance will provide you with coverage if you are operating a non-owned vehicle? In this situation, many personal auto policies (pap) provide liability which follows the policyholder as excess coverage above the liability covering the non-owned vehicle. In some specific situations the physical damage on an individual's pap may cover physical damage to a non-owned vehicle. This is when the non-owned vehicle can be considered a temporary substitute auto. As always, a thorough reading of the policy is required. There are exclusions. Discussing this line of inquiry is best done with a knowledgeable agent or broker who can read, understand, and analyze insurance contracts.
    Answered on October 20, 2016
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>